Friday, April 5, 2013

Every day a new game

Just about every day this week we have played a new game mode, trying things out, seeing what works/what doesn't. From early on I knew that I wanted (potentially) all of these modes to be pretty friendly with one another, that way they became more like layers, which could be stacked on top of one another over the originally vanilla version of the game.

Knowing this fact and making everyone aware that was my intention was a great idea. It allowed me to speck the design and programming in the right direction before I ever started. So right now its possible to play a timed/infection/lightning/control zone map which is pretty sweet, allow for a lot of experimentation and level design.

Lightning games are pretty fun, we played 2 this morning, each took roughly 15-16 minutes to complete. Its a pretty basic mode, where the game simply ends at the end of X number of rounds have passed. We played with a cap of 20 rounds, but it looks like I'm going to cut that in half to make it even more competitive/frenetic.

For players in the normal game setup window they will be able to adjust the number needed, allowing them to play a 15 min, 30 min, or whatever length game they wish. Probably 10 - 100 round game slider I'm thinking.

The single player is in a really good spot right now, the unlocking structure is in place, all levels are build and playable, all modes have been created and function correctly and the best part is, is that its super flexible. We can add/remove/edit new levels easily because map editors rock!

I'm going to be testing a new game mode I found written down in my notebook from a few months ago called Erosion. Beta testers will be the first ones thrown at the single player campaign, but only once we get a functioning/competent AI which has been progressing pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment